9. There is no such thing as sitting all day, trying to look busy! Social Work keeps you moving and active! In fact, you are lucky to have 15 minutes to scarf down your lunch.
8. Every day is different. There is no chance in the world to have two days of work seem exactly the same.
7. Clients will challenge you to be honest with yourself…always. Kids will tell you exactly what you think of your hairstyle or outfit!
6. You will learn to deal with conflict like a champ! Swearing, fist fights, name calling and yelling, will be a daily occurrence. And that’s just at the office before you head out into the field!!
5. You will understand policy and laws and how that impacts people on a very real level.
4. You will never have to deal with the ethical decisions that come with making more money than you need!
3. You can set your own hours…as long as you are OK working 24 hours a day!
2. If you like writing and organizing, paperwork is always an option in the day of a social worker. You can even take the paperwork home and continue on your own time!
1. But the number one reason is because every life matters and we are honored to be the people who can fight to change policies, to offer comfort and support, to stand up for human rights; to have the privilege of sharing everyday sorrows and celebrating everyday joys!
Joy Hartman, proud Social Worker, is passionate about empowering teens to become strong, confident adults! She works with teens of all ages as a family therapist in Wisconsin and has the unique experience of raising three moody, eye-rolling teenagers of her own. For more fun and support on this crazy roller coaster ride of parenting teenagers, join Joy and hundreds of other parents at: Joyhartman.com or Facebook